Saturday, June 27, 2009

A Little Suggestion for Parents

My goodness.. maybe this will be my most ridiculous post ever!
But, I keep pushing to write here. Just wanna share with you my suggestion about how parents should be. No, I don't have any certain purpose. I even have no children yet to give you an advice or two, I just want to speak out my insight as a child, not as a wonderful parent..

As a child, I was raised well, in fear and love of God. I have to admit it. But, sometime, I felt that my father was too hard pushing me to be discipline, ignoring that I was too young to understand what was taught to me.

My father was so temperamental. He wouldn't be 'hesitate' to punish his children if we made mistake. Yes, he would punished us, no matter how little mistake we did! I knew eventually that his intention was for our goodness. But, his way of punishing won't be vanishing from our memory (especially, me!). And, if I recall those moments, I can see that the way parents treat their children will impact the way the children see God.

If the parents raised their children in love and understanding, this will be the foundation for the children to know God. They will see God as love and full of understanding, just like the way they see their parents are! But, if the parents raised the children with careless, never forgive them, and always punish them, this also will be the basic doctrine the children learn about God. They will think that God is like their parents: careless, never forgive, cruel, and sort of it!

Yeah, this is my real experience. No, I've no intention to hurt anyone, especially my father (he is in peace in heaven right now!:)). But this is true. Probably, as parents you may not feel it. But, as a child, I knew it well. The way my parents treat me as a child built an image in my head about who God was and how His nature was. No matter how many times you told your children that God loves them, if you don't treat it that way to them, they won't feel it that way. Your actions speak louder than your speech..

Please, parents, watch out your attitude to your children. Preach will be nothing without actions. Don't let your children become like me, who learn many things about God from the way her parents treat her, and just found that her paradigm has definitely wrong right after she was already grown up. So it's a little uneasy to change it ..

Please, no offense. I am not judging anyone. I'm so sorry if I made mistake here. Please take this as a little reminder to you. Just share my experience, my friend..

Blessings!

1 comment:

Sue said...

Great post.

You'd love this site: http://aolff.com/